Traffic changes on Walnut, South and Lillian
By Ted Schnell • BocaJump | March 2, 2012
>> Three-year project
Theriault said Elgin Community College will be hit particularly hard by the ramp closure: The official detour for those wanting to head east will take them west instead along Weld Road to Randall, where they can connect to eastbound Route 20.
>> Elgin aims to be ready Friday
- Lillian at McLean: City crews are adjusting the timing of the traffic lights at the intersection with an eye toward improving the westbound flow of traffic.
- South and Edison: The four-way stop at this at this intersection will be changed to eliminate the east-west stop signs. Theriault said this intersection will be monitored because it directly affects Sunset Park residents. But he also pointed out that relatively few north- or southbound vehicles pass through the intersection compared to those heading east or west. In addition, the school crossing guard at that location will be removed and children will be instructed to cross at Lillian and Clifton, where another crossing guard will ensure they cross safely.
- South Street at Walnut Avenue: Friday morning, city crews will close off South Street at Walnut, Water-filled barrels known as Jersey barriers will be used to close South Street, and the city will remove the “Stop” sign for westbound Walnut, making a continuous flow of traffic. The South-Walnut merge already is known as a dangerous intersection, with a dozen accidents recorded there last year. Closing South Street should alleviate that, Theriault said, but it also sets the stage for the next intersection change.
- South Street at Wilcox Avenue and Erie Street: Vehicles on South Street do not stop at this intersection, but north- and southbound drivers on Wilcox, as well as eastbound drivers on Erie, must stop as well. Theriault said the intersection will become a five-way stop and that “Dead end” signs will be placed along South to the west of the barricade,
- South and Vine streets: Nearly two decades after residents of this neighborhood originally asked, it looks as though they will get a four-way stop at this intersection.